From Broody to Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Griffox, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Can I take eggs from my broody hen and finish them out in the bator?

I know. I know. A broody is the best bator. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The reason is that she's sitting on more eggs than she can keep warm. The other girls started laying their eggs in her nest and it took me a few days to catch on...so since she's been sitting on them I don't want to eat them, but some of the eggs are getting pushed out and are getting cold.

My Genesis 1588 just came in and I need some test eggs anyways. What are your thoughts?

2. desertlovers

desertlovers Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Good Morning! If you are looking for just thoughts, then I think you probably answered your own question! If she has too many eggs and you just got a new bator, then..... What the heck! Try out the new bator!!! Good luck to you!

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    This is what I'd do if it were me. I'd take away all the eggs but 3 that you know or at least think are the orginals. (candleling would help) Mark them with pencil then let her finish them out. Hatch the rest in the bator. If you are going to let the broody raise them (which I did and it's very cute) then slip the bator hatchlings under her when hers hatch and you are set.

Now, taking the eggs away at this point and putting them in the bator isn't much of a test for the bator though. You should do a whole hatch start to finish. You'll LOVE that 1588, I do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by