From chicks to chickens - what to feed & other questions for new chick family

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MDchicks2547, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MDchicks2547

MDchicks2547 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Our chickens are now three months old and I was wondering how long do we need to feed them the medicated chick food? We give them treats almost every day - their favorite is grapes (we love to watch them chase each other). Also, do you lock your chickens in their house at night? They go in the coop themselves but we lost one chick - came out one morning and something had eaten it's head (ugh!). Weren't sure if we needed to close up the coop when its really cold too - like in the 20s. We also haven't made boxes yet for laying since they are still young. Any help would be appreciated BYC folks!! Thanks.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    what does the medicated food bag say? I feed my chickens per the instructions on the bag. However, I only fed my chicks the medicated feed until they were 8 weeks of age and switched to non-medicated. You have to do what you feel is best for your situation and chickens. You won't need to worry about layer feed until they reach 18 weeks old. I lock my chickens in their coop/run every night to keep them safe especially this time of year when the wildlife tend to start looking at my chickens as food. Also by keeping them locked in at night it will help keep your coop warm and draft free, making your birds happy. Make sure you have boxes ready when they get close to laying so they know where to go, nothing is more fun than an easter egg hunt..lol

3. cockfighter

cockfighter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    san antone texas
    Around 5 months you can switch to regular feed. Also they start eating regular feed on there own. Its just a matter of giving it to them. It is also highly recommended to lock the chickens at night. It protects them from the weather and predators. But, before you consider the idea of locking them up. You gots to make sure that the coop

4. cockfighter

cockfighter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    san antone texas
    Is safe. Check for any holes because most likely it was a coon that killed the chick. These animals tend to eat only the head and partially the throat too.

5. MDchicks2547

MDchicks2547 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    The coop is definitely safe. My husband built it and the wire around their run is buried a foot deep. We have a door that is attached to a rope so we can open and drop it without entering the run or the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by