from cold coop to heated basement and back again

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Jan 5, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I read a post a while ago about not going from cold to warm to cold again. My problem is I don't have a place to separate an injured roo besides the heated basement. I'm sure it is tough to go back and forth since it is 16 outside here, but if I leave him out bloody I know they will keep picking at him. What does going back and forth do to them? I need to know which is the lesser of two evils.

2. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    do u have a garage u can use?

3. taprock

No garage or outdoor space

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bringing him not a real problem if temp only 65. Stress of taking him out can be reduced by holding him in a pet carrier covered with a blanket and making move when not extremely cold. Keep him in covered pet carrier for a couple hours, remove cover, waite a couple hours, then release bird. Smooths temperature transition.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Being you are going from really cold to warm n cozy to really cold again; may want to provide him with access to a heat lamp until he can acclimate back to the really cold temp.
    Is there a way you can section off an area for him inside the coop to where the others cannot get to him?

6. taprock

Normally I could put a cage in the coop and check on his water... Make sure it doesn't freeze during the day. Tomorrow I will be gone the whole day and I didn't want him without water for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by