from crumble to pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KensingtonHens, Dec 28, 2010.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    I changed to pellets yesterday from the lay crumble because they were wasting so much. No they aren't eating. And their poo is watery, white with almost whole pellets in it. Will this change with time? They need to get used to the new stuff? Should I worry? Should I crush the pellets?
    Also, I let them free range today and they ended up in the outdoor fireplace and won't get out!! And still no eggs![​IMG]

2. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

When I change mine over to pellets, I do it gradually.

Add some pellets to their crumbles, at first they will pay no attention to the pellets. Let the crumbles get eaten up and let your girls have only pellets for 6 to 8 hours. I do this for about a week. As they get used to the new shape and get hungry they will accept the pellets.

I wouldn't switch over cold turkey.........ease them into the new feed. Less upset that way. [​IMG]

3. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:I'll see if any of it is good. It got wet in the rain last week (daughter left the lid off) and molded and smelled! They may just have to adjust...

4. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    I salvaged some of the old, but it does have an unpleasant, yeasty odor. What do you think?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Throw it out, and break up some of the pellets and mix them in. They will eat when they get hungry.

6. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with ddawn!! Crush up some of your pellets to help your girls make the transition.
    Don't give your girls the smelly feed........put it in your compost pile or throw it into your flower beds.

7. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:Great! Thank you so much!! The pellets defiantly had NO smell (well alittle sweet) so I an throwing it out...again:p! Gladly!!

Never thought to crush it up..LOVE IT!

Thankyou:D

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I found an easy trick to switch them to pellets. For the first couple of days I tossed a few handfuls in the run like it was a treat. They ate to up very quickly. On the third day I filled up their feeder with pellets. They were excited to find the "treat" in their feeder. They switched over easily.

9. KensingtonHens

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    I went ahead and crushed them with a rolling pin. We are getting slammed again with rain and wind so I put their feed in the coop to keep it dry, can 't tell if they've eaten. Waiting for the rain to let up before I go out. Spend hours drying everything out yesterday and now we're all wet again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by