From drake jail to drake vacation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheezenkwackers, May 21, 2019.

1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I have two drakes, Cheese is a Khaki, Salsa is 1/2 Khaki and 1/2 Appleyard. They each have two hens (3 are Khaki and 1 Harlequin). Anyway, the boys get really mean to the other drake’s hens in the spring and early summer. They then land themselves in drake jail which is smaller than normal and a pain. A friend at work offered to take my boys for a month or two. He has four crested Pekin hens. He is hoping to put each boy with two of his hens. I think I am going to let them have this vacation but I wondered if y’all think it is a good idea? Is there something I am not thinking of?

quackiemama, Jpat and FluffTheDuck like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whenever introducing new birds there is the possibility of disease transmission. Are your friend's pens predator proofed ? The drakes will love it.

quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I hadn’t thought about disease, good point! And yes, his pens are predator proof and they will have more room than their jail.

quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  4. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Ducks are a lot hardier when it comes to diseases. They don't pick them up as easily as chickens do. That being said it's still possible.
    They would probably love a chance to get to know some new girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: