From Fayetteville, NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DandyAndies, Apr 27, 2016.

1. DandyAndies

DandyAndies New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Hi,
    I am DandyAndies, and my wife and I have 8 chickens and a rooster in town. (The rooster is well liked in our community)
    3 of our chickens are Americanas (Lucy, Luni and lucky), and they lay (in order) 1 dark-blue egg, 1 light-blue egg and 1green egg. They each lay 6 to 7 eggs a week and we always get 3 blue/green eggs every day, with one to two days a week when we get 2 eggs even during the winter. We have 2 Bar Rocks(Gray and Gray-fluff) that lay 3 inch long eggs(double the size of the Americanas eggs) that are often double yokers. They lay 4 to 5 days a week. We have one Australorp, Blacky, the leader of the flock who lays 4 to 5 regular size eggs a week, and an easter egger mix called Red. (Yes, their names follow their color if it is prominent ..) She used to lay green eggs until she strayed away for a week. When she returned she did not lay for a month. When she did start laying again her eggs were pink instead of green and are still pink today. Finally, Goldie, a blond chicken from Tractor Supply who was 1 of 8 chicks, 7 male and her. She is so huge and overweight (I think she was bred for meat), she waddles when she walks and can always be found at the pellet feeder. She was saved because all of here brothers took their turns at our dinner table and being the last of her group my wife will not let me put her in the freezer. She lays regular size eggs that are always very rough (like grains of sand all over the egg) and she only lays 2 to 3 days a week. Because all of our eggs are distinct I always know which chicken lays the specific eggs.(Except for the grays.) We are hoping one or more of our chickens goes broody so we can shove 8 NON-POINTY eggs under each one! Then we will report back on the percentage of female vs male hatches!

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] Good Luck!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC and thanks for the introduction.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by