From free range to run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by madmantrapper, Aug 8, 2009.

1. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I had to put in a run for my chickens, neighbor complains about them running loose. Any way the run is 4 feet tall and all the chickens fly over it like it wasn't there. It is 600 sq ft for 10 birds, I figured at that size they would stay in. I guess they free ranged so long that freedom is important.

2. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    as you figured out, they can easily fly over 4'. I had to put bird netting over mine to keep them in and then ended up free ranging them anyway, but in case I have to keep them in, I still have their run. Bird netting is really cheap and it will keep them in but you have to keep it tight or it will sag. I don't know how wide your run is but you can put in a support of some sort across the middle to keep it up. Even a tight rope would do the trick. Bad thing is you will have to crouch to walk under it where it hits the fence.

3. tmb3fan

tmb3fan In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    I tried to fence my chickens in too after months of free ranging. It didn't work either without a top. Mine also found ways to get under the fence too. Once they get a taste of freedom, they hate to be contained. Mine go in chick tractors with runs at night, but by mid morning, they are eager to get out.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I thought about clipping the wings but somehow that just don't seem right to me. Where do I get bird netting? Is it cord or wire?

Thanks for the replies.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I trimmed my bird's wings. It just made them try harder. They still went where they wanted to and I am experienced in wing clipping for house birds so the chickens were nothing new. They just are made differently.
    However, you could always put weights on their legs![​IMG]

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    It should be noted if you decide to clip the wings it should only be done on one side. Then they will loose balance when trying to fly.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww that's just wrong to go from Free range to run. Your neighbors are cruel and mean! Tell them I said that! Maybe you should tell them the benefits of having them free range. Like FREE fertilizer that REALLY helps their garden and yard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: