1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From garage roosting (city chooks) to backyard coop roosting...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Aneesa's Muse, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I have a beautiful bantam Salmon Faverolle rooster, Benjamin, and 3 gorgeous standard Black Star pullets (almost hens, yey!) ..Piss n' Vinegar, aka. PV ..Louise, aka. Weeze ...and Hannah, lovingly called "cry baby" ...and they all have a run in the backyard. They also have a coop, but I am fearful that the darn raccoons will get my babies ...so they have been roosting in our garage every night.

Recently, my coop was reinforced and even *I* have a hard time getting into it ..lol ....so I am considering putting the "kids" to bed in their own coop from now on. (It would save some of the poopies they like to plant on my washer and dryer, too [​IMG] )

Should this be a problem? Will they have an adjustment type thing to go through? Does 45F - 55F warrant a heat source inside the coop or will they snuggle like they do in the garage? (I'm in San Francisco Bay Area ..short driving distance to the water)

Btw, they get plenty of extra yummy stuff to help them be at tip top health ...and they are all fully plumed now (Ben moulted soon after I got him, a few months ago).

[​IMG]
    BenBen: "Sleep outside... but why, Mah??"

[​IMG]
    PV: "You juss mean 'dem, hunh Mah... not me... I sleepin' wif YOU.. right, Mah??"

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would think locking them in their new coop and run for about a week would make for an easy adjustment. I move my coop and run up onto the patio on the backside of my house every winter so i can put a heat lamp in there when the temps drop below 30 and a heated water bowl in the run. 55 to 60 degrees however should be just fine for your babies. I know what ya mean about roosting in the garage, took me 2 months to break 2 of my pullets of that because that was where they were raised. Once they get used to their new digs they should be just fine.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First, may I say I *love* the beard on your roo, he looks just like my husband before he started greying [​IMG]

45-55F is nowhere near needing supplemental heat. The chickens are probably finally starting to get comfortable after the summer heat [​IMG]

The main adjustment will just be persuading them that things have changed. They will probably want to go back to the garage, have to be manually installed in the outdoor coop, and act like you've gone completely insane and should be institutionalized [​IMG] If all else fails you can always wait til they have snuggled down for the night in the garage, nab 'em while they're snoozy, and move them to the coop roost then. Eventually they will get the clue, after waking up in the coop enough times [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun, still ROFL at your rooster's resemblance to my DH,

Pat

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Pat... Ben's beard kind of makes my hubby envious, as his job won't allow him to let it get as full and fluffy [​IMG]

I'm going to try the "sneak them in their coop after they are groggy" trick.. cuz I already know PV is gonna knock at the back door endlessly, until we give in and let her in the garage. [​IMG]

She is quite attached to her Mah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by