From hot and dry Northern CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by susanbird, Aug 13, 2011.

1. susanbird

susanbird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have looked over this forum and found a lot of answers to questions but didn't register until today. Probably because I have a "burning" question LOL

I have a trio of Buff Laced Polish. Last year they hatched a clutch of 14, 2 of which were not buff. Now, since I had just got them--as adults--and I had taken some Gold Laced Polish eggs and put under them, I figured that was why the two were not buff.

Well, they just hatched out 8 chicks, 7 of which are buff and one is, you guessed it, looks like a Gold Laced chick. I didn't do any egg switching this time.

What I am wondering is, if both the hen and the roo are mixed for this to happen or if just one of them could be mixed and have this happen????
    I'm not up on my genetics. I sold all the chicks last year so did not see what the "odd ball" looked like [​IMG]

I have Silver Laced, Gold Laced and Buff Laced Polish, Silver Duckwing Phoenix, Delawares, White Leghorns, RIR, Silkies, Thai mix and Cochins. My coops are dog kennels with roofs and except for the youngsters and Silkies, all are housed with their same breed.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad you joined the forum. [​IMG] Sorry I'm not much of a poultry geneticist and can't help you with your question. I'm sure there are several on here who can, however! Best of luck! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC. I have no clue how that happened. You may want to post the same question in the breeds, genetics and showing forum. Hopefully someone could help you there.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] :yiipchi

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck finding an answer. I agree with Nicole01. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by