From Incubator to Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bstead24, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Our chick took just over 30 hours to hatch... Just came out of his shell about 12 hours ago with a little help from me... He is running around and doing great in the Incubator... Would it be safe to go ahead and move him to his brooder now... Or should I wait for the last 12 hours?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do you have more chicks in the brooder that might peck him? If so, maybe give him a little longer. If he's dry and fuzzy though, it ought to be fine, just supervise them a little while.

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Is it the only chick going to hatch in there? I would leave it be if you have other eggs hatching, but if this is the only one, all you have to do is wait until it drys a little [​IMG]

4. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    No he is the only one... He is our homemade Incubator testing chick.. AND IT WORKED [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .... He has dried up nicely through the night... Just a little spot on his back... I'll give him another hour just to be sure... Thanks [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If any other eggs are going to hatch, leave the little one in the bator for a while. He will cheer on the others.

6. sodabottlebantams

sodabottlebantams Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Alma, Georgia
    nothing wrong with leaving the hatched chicks in the incubator for at most 2days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by