1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From indoor to outdoor in Texas heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amshizzle, Jul 6, 2016.

1. amshizzle

amshizzle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My chickens & ducks will be moved to their permanent outside structure in the coming week. It is now 98-99 with humidity making it feel like 108-110. My feathered kids have been enjoying a comfortable 74 degrees in doors with no elements. They are quite spoiled. I am nervous about moving them outside in these uncomfortable weather conditions when they have been so used to the indoor control temperatures. Should I do anything to get them acclimated or will a sink or swim method be okay? I don't want to loose any of them or cause discomfort. Their run is covered but it is clear corrugated so it makes for more of a rain/storm protector than a shade maker.

Any tips/advice for other preparing my birds?

2. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    Hi there! I am in Texas also, north of Dallas.

They absolutely must have plenty of shade. So if your run is covered, but the covering does not provide shade, you will need to find some way to provide shading. My coop and run are under the cover of two large trees, but I also shaded part of the run by attaching shade cloth (the kind you would normally use for gardening).

I also provide plenty of ice water throughout the day with powdered electrolytes mixed in (I get the Rooster Booster kind from Tractor Supply).

Many people find that a misting system works in cooling down the air temperature, but with all of the humidity we've been having, it would only make it stickier.

Here's a really good thread on keeping chickens cool: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/899082/keeping-chickens-cool-in-the-summer/210#post_17245615

I also have a large fan hooked up on an extension cord, it's on a timer and a bit of a pain since I don't have electricity in my coop but I think it helps circulate the air under their feathers a little bit.

But definitely make sure you put up some shade! :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. amshizzle

amshizzle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    Fort Worth, Texas
    AWESOME!! Thank you for all your advice! I am certainly going to invest in some shade-producing items!

4. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    You are welcome! Let us know how it goes! This Texas heat is no joke!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by