From internal pipping to external pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie_boi, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    Hey im just curious and €im not sure if anyone will know the answer, but do you know how long it takes roughly from the chick to pip the air cell internally to the cick pipping the egg shell??

Im on day 20 just now and i had a VERY quick look (i know i'm bad sorry [​IMG] ), i mean the egg was out of the bator less than a minute, and i noticed as if the black shadow of the chick was pushing/stretching into the air cell although it isn't totally in it.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Watch the humidity as that is the important thing you want to keep in the bator. It's different for each chick, but my guess is that internal pip to external pip will happen within 24 hours.

3. Silkie_boi

Nov 9, 2007
    yea my humidity is ip at roughly 65 - 70 on the hygrometer, was thinkin of maybe adding more to it though :|

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No, that sounds good. Once the little guys start popping out, the humidity will go up a bit more too. Any external pips yet?

5. Silkie_boi

Nov 9, 2007
    no not yet - this is nerve wracking :|:|:|:|:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lol.

still looks as though they are against the air cell mambrane but not actually into it yet. Hopefully i may have a nice litle suprise to an external pip when i wake tomorrow. I swear to god if i miss the hatch i will go of fmy head [​IMG]

Which is why i will have the parentals on standby with the video camera when im t college.

haha [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is really the most nervewracking time, isn't it? I'm right there with you in the nailbiting thing. Its great, but it's hairpulling time, too.

7. Silkie_boi

Nov 9, 2007
    I KNOW lol - i think im really nervouse too cuz i have read a lot of things on hear that can go wrong like, maybe the chick just being too big for the shell etc and just no making it out, things as simple as that, and known my luck it will happen to me or something lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by