From Kansas to Florida .... later this week!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nana2KJS, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Well I'm not especially fond of flying, but DH is working in Florida, so I'm going down there next weekend [​IMG]. Internet research is wonderful, but it's not the same as being there. We've ended up in some "dives" by just checking the internet.

Anyone near Plant City, have any ideas - safe beach access somewhere (just want to say I've been ON the beach - not going in!) - Florida Botanical Gardens worth the trip? - DH thinking aquarium...

Suggestions appreciated!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's a place I think is wonderful, but the name is just not coming to me right now. Just got up from a nap. [​IMG] I'll keep working on it. Has beautiful gardens and a butterfly pavalion that's awesome. I'll post as soon as I remember the name.
    Also, instead of a plane trip, could you stop by and pick me up? I need to make a trip to see my dad and I'm hating the details of planning a plane trip. [​IMG]

3. DoulaHallie

DoulaHallie In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    There is a lot to do in Tampa Bay! The FL Aquarium is near a shopping area, and an Ikea, the gardens are nice, there are lots and lots of parks, of course there is always Busch Gardens and the beaches, like Clearwater beach. Depends what your interested in! Its super hot right now, so plan your outdoor activities for the morning or evening, morning is probably best!

4. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    I would SO much rather drive down.. have a couple cousins in Alabama that I haven't seen in 30 years... we'd fill up my SUV with whoever wanted to go. UnFORtunatley not an option. DH's employer pays for the guys to come home every three weeks and this time they reversed the ticket so I could get away for a few days.

Would be fun, though!

I love gardens and nature walks, DH prefers movies and A/C. Don't know how we'll work all that out, but keep 'em coming!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know it would come to me if I smacked myself in the head enough times! Cypress Gardens:

http://www.cypressgardens.com/

It's one of my favorite places to visit when I go home for a visit.

Also, any of the beaches on the gulf coast. The water is so wonderful and the beaches beautiful.
    Better quit now before I make myself homesick.

6. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    yes Cypress gardens is worth the see. Like a theme park on Valium, layed back and very enjoyable day. But, there is a tropical garden in St.Pete, but I am scratching my head as to the name,

ahh, google doesn't fail, it is Sunken Gardens.
    www.stpete.org/sunken

Much smaller than Cypress gardens, can be done in a morning, couple hours if need be. Went there mmm maybe 12 yrs ago, so I can't say what they have now. Enjoy,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: