1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From Miss Prissy's Red Project

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozark hen, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi all, I thought I would post an update of the little red faced cockeral that I hatched from Miss Prissy's Red Project. He seems to be turning more brown/chocolate?? What do you think Miss P.?
    [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Or is he going to be a partridge????

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Here is another angle on the little guy. Miss Prissy, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is how these boys feathered out -

[​IMG]

As they age some of the speckles disappear. Can you see the speckles on his chest?

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    He is gorgeous. Not as red as Big Red but just the same I would be thrilled to have my little guy feather out like that! My little buff pullet is showing signs of the black now. they are three weeks old today! [​IMG] I am on day 14 with the eggs and trying to remain very calm and patient! [​IMG] thank you so much! [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When you put them beside a buff they don't look buff. When you put them beside Red they don't look nearly as red. If you pick the bestcolored male and breed him toyour females you will begin to see more red.

Have you candled those eggs?

How ar they going?

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I can't wait for these to grow up and see what we can produce from them! I candled the eggs when they were at 7 days but really couldn't be sure as yet. Have not candled them yet today but I will and let you know. [​IMG] so far temp and humidity have been pretty stable. No big change in temp but of course, I am constantly adjusting the humidity. I have a large straw in one of the vents and I use a funnel to add water so I haven't been opening the 'bator at all. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I'll be waiting for your report.

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have candled them twice now and my stomach is in knots. They all look like this or less...does this mean they stopped developing?
    these are two different eggs. I see no movement but I never have seen movement in any other eggs I have candled either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you seeing veins? I have trouble with some of these eggs myself. They are hard to see anything in. Candle all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by