From nest to Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JodyJo, Apr 7, 2012.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I need some help...to the experts I go....my son's pre school teacher has an incubator, she wants some eggs for it, NOW...how do I get them to her...do you have to get them warm from the nest immediately to the incubator? Or can they sit on the counter over night THEN to the incubator? I have not done this, none of my hens are broody, or have ever been, they are less than a year. I have two roos, so I know they are most likely all fertilized. I just didn't know how long they can cool down, to still be viable...help!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I found my own answer....thx to everyone who read this....

The eggs should be gathered two times a day. Once they are gathered you need to store the eggs until you have the amount you need to incubate. Cardboard egg cartons are the best for storing the eggs. Cut the bottom of each egg holder so that proper air can circulate around the egg. Place the eggs into the eggs carton so that the small end is pointing downward. Each day you should turn the eggs to prevent the yolks from sticking to the shell. If all the eggs are in the same direction you can tell which eggs have been turned.
    The eggs need to be stored in a moist place at a temperature of about 35 degrees. Do not let the eggs freeze. The place they are stored needs to have moisture of about 75% humidity or the eggs will dry out too much and will not hatch. Eggs are mostly water so it is important that they are in a humid place.
    Eggs should only be stored for seven days before you incubate them. Put the date on the egg and place it into the incubator. If your incubator allows for continual incubation you can add more eggs in seven days. The date on the egg will help you identify if the egg is too old to hatch.

So I will try this and see if any of the eggs actually hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by