from Ottawa canada and firdt time chicken owners :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peca family, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Peca family

Peca family New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Hey everyone , my husband and I recently bought a house on five acres and decide we would like to get some chickens. We are very excited but have lots to.learn . Anyone recommend what kind of bedding to use ?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! In the coop, it sort of depends on your area/coop set up, if you plan on doing the deep litter method, and what is available in your area, pine shavings are probably the most popular, but sand, straw/hay, leaves, peat moss all have been used. Nice BYC Learning Center article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/quick-guide-to-common-brooder-and-coop-bedding-materials For the run and in some cases the coop, a lot of people love love love sand, long thread discussing using it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

You might want to check out the learning center for question out did even know you had ......

I like to use straw my self and every one has their own idea of their own likes and dis likes then there is also availability of different bedding ........

Congratulations on your new home and I want to wish you the best on your new chicken ventures [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sand, sand and more SAND!! I am a huge fan of sand. It is easy to clean, it stays dry, keeps the flies AWAY, NO smells, chickens love to scratch in it, you can hose it down in the summer and the birds stay really cool, and if you go with the natural stuff it has all kinds of tiny stones for the gizzards. You can use river sand, I use dry wash and arroyo sand, you can use sand from gravel companies and many times they will deliver it cheap, you can even use play sand. I use it in the coops, runs and even the nest boxes!!! SAND....[​IMG]

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home, and good luck establishing your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by