From Pekins to Welsh Harlequin (share your knoweldge and experiences!)( discuss your favorite breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buff goose guy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    From Pekins to Welsh Harlequin (share your knoweldge and experiences!)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hi )

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I don't have any of those breeds but I do know that pekins can be noisier than other ducks and welsh harlequins are clam and gorgeous!

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    [​IMG]

Here are some of my rouins
    Hopeing to mate them with some Pekins I ordered .

1 person likes this.
  5. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Love welsh harqulins , amazing ordered some of those too )

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This black duck is a mallard kayuga mix flew in with a flock of mallards a few years ago( she hadent left since) and has repruduced with our rouines every year.

7. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    Here's my personal experience with limited breeds:

I love rouens. I love my own and I love the ones I've met in other's flocks. I love how they look like the base of all mallard bred domestics, the mallard. I love their size. Eggs are good, sometimes they lay year round and not just seasonally. They're hardy ducks. They're friendly. They have some of the best flavored meat of all ducks if you're into that (ate a mean drake last year, was absolutely delicious!).

Pekins grow quick and have a lot of fat on them if you grow them fast for meat. They're not as friendly in my experience as rouens, but they're really cute out in the yard as they forage all fluffy and white. They are talkers it seems- the hens can be quite loud actually, as they seem to do that head bobbing and quacking among each other like, all the time. Picture it- you have your core of pekin hens in the flock all head bobbing and noisily chattering, and the drakes stand around and watch with heads held high and "quaaawwwwwk" away. Kinda cute really. Drakes can get big and in my experience, it's the big drakes that force the breeding and beat each other up so, eating them is easy and tasty.

Indian runners are sorta weird to me and too skittish for my liking. My neighbor has a group and she's totally overwhelmed with eggs from her hens which is a good thing. My current only drake is an indian runner, because he's kind and respectful with the hens- he doesn't force matings with them and he doesn't pull out feathers.

That's about as detailed and comfortable I am with assessments. I have had other breeds, but I never got to know them well.

8. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I don't eat mine that's terrible raising them from a baby just to be eaten is terrible.

And my ruins are actually quite skinny , I love the breed and if your into eating then that's not my place to judge , getting Perkins this summer it will be great , cross breeding them with ruins though so .

9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    No knowledge yet... other than what I have read. I saw welsh harlequins at a local flea market and fell in love, looked them up and read about them and I'll get my first pair tomorrow!

10. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welsh Harlequin

I ordered 10 of them scheduled to arrive next Wednesday (3/12) as half of the flock that will begin my hobby duck farm. The other 10 are Cayugas. I reason I picked them other than their look; they are said to be the calmest of domestic ducks, they are a small breed between 4 - 6 pounds, and they are on the "Critical" list of the Livestock Conservancy. The Livestock Conservancy defines "critical" as fewer than 200 annual registrations in the United States and estimated global population less than 2,000. I don't plan to eat them, but they are supposed to be decent egg layers producing 240 - 330 eggs a year.

Here is the quote from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks:

Harlequins are primarily raised for their wonderful practical attributes. "They are highly adaptable, outstanding layers producing 240-330 white shelled eggs yearly, active foragers, excellent producers of lean meat, beautifully colored and pluck almost as cleanly as white birds when dressed for meat." (Holderread, 2001)

It is a personal preference for me, I wanted something different and rare, the Pekin seems "common" to me. Sorry Pekin people, JMHO.

Enjoy,

Rich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by