1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

from Portland, OR

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marijke2389, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Marijke2389

Marijke2389 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2013
    Portland, OR
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi All,[/FONT]
    I'm no stranger to chickens. I grew up on a hobby farm in east-coast Canada where we had 10 layers (not sure on the breed, but they were brown/red) and 20 broilers (white) along with every other tradition farm animal, except ducks.
    My husband and I moved to Portland, OR for work and have a decent-sized yard so thought we'd give chickens a try (neither of us are really "cat" or "dog" people).
    Last summer, we got 3 chicks- a Rhode Island Red, a Buff Orpington, & a Silver-laced Wyandotte so I lurked here a lot for tips on raising chicks. Sadly, 2 of the girls (the RIR & Orpington) were recently killed by a predator and our Wyandotte is the lone survivor.
    Our other shared hobby is vegetable gardening, and our baby son also gets a lot of loving.
    Glad to be here! [​IMG]

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

3. guesswhokatysue

guesswhokatysue Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Welcome! Sorry to hear about your girls falling to a predator! Hopefully you can figure out what is doing it and put a stop to it. We live near the woods, and planning our coop has been much tougher than I imagined, trying to come up with the types of predators and then how to keep them out. I know I spend a lot of time on the coops page to see how people are keeping predators out. But, like the lady at our feed store said, you wont know what you have until you have the problem.

Regardless, welcome to the forum, it's been a HUGE help to me so far [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. Marijke2389

Marijke2389 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the welcome!
    As for our hens, It was my fault for not checking the latch on the run door. I feel so guilty about that!
    I'm not 100% sure what killed them. My neighbour, who has 7 hens, says it was a raccoon, but I'm not convinced. There was a trail of feathers all the way from the coop through the run and all the way to the backyard where one bird was discovered (most of the carcass- head, wings, feet, ribs & entrails remained near a big pile of feathers) and the other was across the yard- no trail of feathers- with head, wings & feet remaining.
    I was under the impression that racoons go straight for heads & crops, so I thought maybe a fox(es), except my neighbour says there aren't any around here. He's lived here much longer than I, so he must know.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our flock!! Good luck and best wishes!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by