From Rooster Ridge

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GranjeroDelGalo, Aug 9, 2014.

1. GranjeroDelGalo

GranjeroDelGalo New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Central Kentucky
    Hey ya'll !!

I have been enjoying reading articles and looking at picture of all the chickens on BackYard Chickens.com for awhile now. Today I decided to join. The wife and I have been raising chickens now for about 5 years and we enjoy them very much. Our grandchildren love to collect the eggs and catch an occasional jail breaker. We have some free rangers and some that we raise in a cage but all of them are our pets. Along with our chickens we have three Tom turkeys and two Peafowl....and then there is is Vinny the Guinea....our watch dog. We have way too many roosters so we call our little piece of heaven...Rooster Ridge. We just purchased some chicks (Silver laced Wyandotts and Lakenvelders) last week and we have them in our home made brooder. Anyway that is just a little bit about our small farm. Glad to be a part of this community.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Beware of too many roosters. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a nice flock!

So glad you could join our community. Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    [​IMG] ROOSTER RIDGE.I just joined today too!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rooster Ridge, do you have problems with so many roosters together or have you threatened them with the stew pot.?

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC to you, too! :eek:)

7. GranjeroDelGalo

GranjeroDelGalo New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Central Kentucky
    thanks so much.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice flock, good luck with the new chicks!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by