From Rural West of Ireland - Antwerp Belgian Bantams or Barbu d'Anvers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cuhullainn, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cuhullainn

cuhullainn Hatching

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi,
    Just new on the bloc.
    Back in March, my son who is a farrier, brought me a rooster and 2 hens Barbu d'Anvers. (as one knows, farrier sometimes end up bartering their way as in "Would you shoe this horse for a few chickens.."!!!) So we built a coop, fenced a corner of the garden and our experience in chicken nurtured!!
    Well, the first think we learned was how to fence off a mean rooster ( That farmer had a good deal when he got rid of that rooster!!!) He has learned to stay away from me when I hold piece of water hose looped in my hand! (I tried water spray, but it rains too often in Ireland to work!).
    Once a day, we leave them have the run of the whole garden... they were a great help to get rid of the leather-backs (crane fly larvae) and we were getting1-2 eggs each day (small, cute and tasty!).
    Just over 3 weeks ago, one of the hen started to vanish every evening which meant only one think: "We have a brooder!!!". We mount guard and finally found her nest deep in the hedgerow. The 8 eggs and her ladyship(she was not happy!!!) were quickly transported into our glass greenhouse where I had prepare a makeshift nest with an overturned basket from our washroom and wood shavings for litter. The eggs were placed in the center. After the hen calmed down, she resumed "her position". I placed a 60 watt bulb in the greenhouse a couple feet above the "nest" and make sure she was fed and water... the wait had began... (By the way.. I am a grandfather but I was acting just like when my wife was about to give birth to our first child!!!!
    After 23 days ( from the time we made the change) the first "piiip" came out... When we saw the chicks I said:" He looks like Happy Feet!!!". Next day, we had number 2. then now, 3 days and 5 eggs still there....[​IMG] Maybe it is time for a decision!
    Well this is my introduction to chickens!!! ( We had horses, Irish wolfhounds, now chicks!) I am married (42 years!), My wife and I are parents and grand parents. Apart of Ireland, we have lived in Luxembourg, Belgium, USA (Alabama) and Italy...
    I have not figured out how to post pictures yet on here, so I will post "Happy Feet" on Facebook.
    Slan!
    Paddy

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

What a great descriptive introduction.

Imp

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    candle the rest of the eggs before you throw them out...

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Yep definetly candle the eggs before tossing are let her decided when she doesn't wanna sit on them anymore!!

5. greymane

greymane Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! You must be an awesome grandfather. So glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Songster

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG] and have fun - From Alabama!!

8. Springthing

Springthing Chirping

Aug 26, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Welcome to the BYC. Look forward to seeing pictures all the way from Ireland.

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    I think there is a one week restriction on posting pictures

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by