From show stock but pet quality....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Silkie<3, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Ok sooo my first silkies are about to start laying they come from a really nice SQ breeder but she sold them to me has pet quality......my question is will the chicks they hatch have a chance at being SQ???
    [​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I don't show chickens but I would say yes. It is possible to have a show quality bird from hatchery stock.. although less likely! Chicken genetics are fairly open and any ugly parents can have a stunningly beautiful daughter if the right chromosomes line up.
    No chicken is likely to be *perfect*. A show really only says that this particular bird is closer to the ideal than that bird. Plus, it is only one judge's ( or set of judges') opinion. So, yes, depending upon the show, you could have show quality chickens!

3. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    [​IMG] thank you that's very helpful!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A big huge dependent variable is what show you're going to and how much competition you have. [​IMG]

5. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    with all i know about showing silkie's (almost nothing O_O ) is that they have to be nice and puffy and all there toes must be feathered......[​IMG]

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Silkie<3 :

Ok sooo my first silkies are about to start laying they come from a really nice SQ breeder but she sold them to me has pet quality......my question is will the chicks they hatch have a chance at being SQ???
    [​IMG]

Its going to depend very much on the reason the breeder considered them pet quality. Missing toes, wry tail are serious issues to resolve and not one wanted if breeding towards show quality is the goal.​

7. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Back in march i got 3 pet quality silkies from birdsandeggs.com i guess she said there toes were wrong or somthing :\\

8. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    They have 5 toes on each foot but there not all feathered and i guess she said they were not straight....or something (sorry im being such a pain)

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Silkie<3 :

They have 5 toes on each foot but there not all feathered and i guess she said they were not straight....or something (sorry im being such a pain)

It's not required that all the toes be feathered...just to the middle toe.​

10. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    oh ...o-o well i just counted they have all five toes guess the middle ones not feathered o-o ill check later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by