from southern ohio, NEW to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henessy, Mar 18, 2013.

1. henessy

henessy New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    To all you pros out there, I'm looking to acquire some type of maran that lays deep chocolate eggs (something like 7 or better on color scale). I'm new to this so I an looming for help. I would also like to acquired some Ameraucana and would like to know if there is anything special to selecting ones to get green blue and pink eggs. Thank for any help.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I think it is the black copper marans that have the darkest eggs - don't quote me on that. [​IMG]

3. henessy

henessy New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I've be doing a bit of research and heard of people having marans that were only laying a 3-5 on the color scale but were supposed to be 7+. I've heard you have to get good pure stock to get the deep chocolate color. Unfortunately, I know no one around who has any. I'm hoping someone on here can help.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Many Maran hens when first laying will lay a very dark colored egg, but the longer they lay the eggs get lighter as they use up the pigments needed for dark coloration. Selecting for only a very dark egg can lead to selecting for birds that don't lay as many eggs, so therefore have more pigment available. Color is complicated in dark layers! You might visit a few of the Maran threads for more information - look in the Breeds section of the Forum.

If you are looking for blue/pink egg layers, you are likely thinking of Easter Eggers, mixed breed birds that lay a variety of colors. Ameraucanas are purebreds of specific color and type that are supposed to lay only blue or blue-green eggs.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck in your search.

9. henessy

henessy New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks guys!
    I received my 10 araucanas and 10 black astralorpes pullets today. I couldn't resist so I ended up taking 4 extra araucanas and 4 partridge rocks.
    I was able to get a twice used hovabator 2362n, Candler, 100+ egg cartons, 7 gallon waterer, 10kg hanging feeder, homemade 40lb feeder, 5 roosters (2 araucana, a red Brahma, and 2 mixed), and a hen that looks about like a crow (not sure What the heck it is, Lol); all for $90. Looks like I'm about to have some fun. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by