from the co-op grocery...any idea re: the mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyho, May 15, 2011.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Here's my pretty little 9 week mixed girl we hatched for fun from eggs from the local co-op grocery store. She's very streamlined and smaller than the BLRW a week younger than she is. She came from a green egg and has very green legs. She was a chipmunk chick with a black/grey tint. 4 toes. Minimal comb, pea-ish? Likes to roost in tree branches.

Any ideas what she might be made of? I assume I just call her an EE?
    [​IMG]

a few weeks ago for the side view
    [​IMG]

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    She is a very pretty little EE girl, I have no idea what her mom and dads breeds were except the mom was definiately and EE .

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Judging by the lacing and rose comb, it is an EE SLW cross.

5. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:Gee, I hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense. Both of those breeds could easily be kept as layers for the pretty, multicolor dozen eggs they sell. The only thing that doesn't fit is her sleek body design. EEs and SLW are more on the tubby side right?

If she is an EE SLW cross could she be an olive egger?

6. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Gee, I hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense. Both of those breeds could easily be kept as layers for the pretty, multicolor dozen eggs they sell. The only thing that doesn't fit is her sleek body design. EEs and SLW are more on the tubby side right?

EEs and SLWs that come from hatchery that breed for production don't have proper "type", and yes I am betting you have an olive egger

7. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010

EEs and SLWs that come from hatchery that breed for production don't have proper "type", and yes I am betting you have an olive egger

I hope so. I'll follow up in about 3 months!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by