from three eggs to only 2 ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moosenbudda, Apr 17, 2009.

1. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    I have 5 hens and 1 roo, for a few weeks I was getting 2 eggs a day and then for about a week I was getting 3 a day, but now all of a sudden im back down to 1 or 2 a day ! I dont have any preditors taking the eggs and they arent hiding them because the coop and run is completely chicken proof and they cant get out ! There hasnt been any change in there diet im in southern california and its very warm. I feed them a local feed that 18 % protein and 1/8 a head of lettace everyday. My ladies are somewhere around 6 months old one RIR and 3 sex links and 1 buff new hamp. and a sex link roo that does mount them everyday. Im not to sure what to do because I refuse to buy store bought eggs and I cant seem to keep eggs on hand and I dont want to have to buy more pullets and have that whole shock phase and really have them stop laying ! Any other suggestions ? please ! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As soon as you say that you will go home and find 5! They vary with their laying. Sometimes they need a day off!

3. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    its been more than a week off though ! and all of the pullets have full combs and waddles bright red and pretty but only 3 max are laying ? it doesnt make sense to me ! there all the same age and all have the same feed and its in the high 70's out here ! i guess i just dont understand these crazy chickens ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by