from tote to playpen-will this be sufficient?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJbirdlover, May 6, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    My 1 week old chicks have officially grown out of their rubbermaid tote. They were starting to go crazy running and flapping and it just didn't seem roomy enough for them. As of last night my 13 chicks have been in a playpen which seems to be working out great. They really seem to want to fly and like to run around flapping their little wings.

2 questions for you....

how long do you think I have before they try to fly out of it??

and

do you think that they can stay in this until ready to go out in their coop? It's a regular full size playpen.

2. tielsflyhigh

tielsflyhigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    well - my first ones tried to fly out of their pen at about 3 weeks- You could cover the top with some bird netting though if you like them in there - just watch their behaviour- when they seem stressed in their run they need more space- you can still put them outside in their coop with a brooder lamp?

3. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    thanks, I was thinking of bird netting I just didn't know how soon.[​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    If you trim one wing they wont fly out of anything.

I prefer cardboard boxes, giant appliance sized ones- i dont have to clean them.

I imagine they'd make it to 5 weeks or so in the playpen.

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I use a playpen brooder a lot for older chicks - try getting the 1/2 inch hardware cloth - it is strong enough that you can cut a piece that will go over the top without drooping - it works good for putting a lamp on top of instead of hanging one. I just tape the raw edges with gorilla tape (to keep from snagging myself on it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by