From WV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by syga62, Apr 20, 2016.

1. syga62

syga62 New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    We just finished our chicken coup and we're ready to put in our 16 chicks. They've been in our dining room for the last 3 weeks. We've sure to have plenty of questions. Some you've answered already. Thanks! !

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and to the joys of chickens -- so glad you've joined us. What breed(s) are your new additions?

1 person likes this.
  3. syga62

syga62 New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Welllllll.....we are so new, we've already goofed a little. We bought 8 pullets which we now know isn't a breed but an age. 4 silkies--and 4 "banties" which I now know is a size. So. ...12 surprise chickis and 4 silkies! So as I said. ...we'll have lots of questions! I've wanted chickens for more than 20 years and my husband, bless his sweet heart, is doing more than he's physically able to make this wish come true.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    No pullet is the female gender, young males are called cockerels. Adult females are called hens, adult males = roosters. When your birds are 6-8 weeks old you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this." However, silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Early guesses can be very inaccurate.

You may also want to check out the "Silkie thread," just put in the search box and it will pop up.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS silkies are considered bantams.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even you are an experienced hand) https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box as there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

This link may help you when moving your little ones to the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Brooder+to+coop

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. syga62

syga62 New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    thank you. We are hoping to only have one cockerel then! We are wanting layers. And I've heard roosters are terrotorial. "Not enuff room in this pen for us all." The kids and I (mostly me) are very excited about this new venture.

9. syga62

syga62 New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    thank you. We are hoping to only have one cockerels then! We are wanting layers. And I've heard roosters are terrotorial. "Not enuff room in this pen for us all." The kids and I (mostly me) are very excited about this new venture.

10. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] Enjoy your new flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by