Front sun room made into my new NUGGET NURSERY

GingerRose

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2022
Alpine, Alabama
:jumpy:celebrate:wee:celebrate:jumpy
So, I did this thing...
We are currently remodeling this older home we bought in October last year. The front sun room is not currently being worked on.
My 2 week old incubated nuggets are learning to exercise their wings and jumping all over my art room, where I kept their brooder.
I had an idea to turn the front porch/sun room into their new brooder/chick nursery.
The weather here in Alabama can't decide if it's going to be warm or going to be cold. One morning the sun is bright and beautiful, in 4 hours it's gloomy and raining with temperature drops.
I have a cotton drop cloth down on the concrete floor. I am going to put pine shavings down, maybe.... Not sure.
The heat lamp is securely attached with 4 zip ties to one of my old easels. The windows open up and they have secure screens over the openings.
The bucket is about to become a dust bath for them. The cat tree, I HOPE they explore and love it.
The wooden box is my actual brooder with the top removed. They can get in and out of it with ease.

Posting this to see if anyone has any input...
What do yall think??
20220418_102111.jpg

So, I did this thing...
We are currently remodeling this older home we bought in October last year. The front sun room is not currently being worked on.
My 2 week old incubated nuggets are learning to exercise their wings and jumping all over my art room, where I kept their brooder.
I had an idea to turn the front porch/sun room into their new brooder/chick nursery.
The weather here in Alabama can't decide if it's going to be warm or going to be cold. One morning the sun is bright and beautiful, in 4 hours it's gloomy and raining with temperature drops.
I have a cotton drop cloth down on the concrete floor. I am going to put pine shavings down, maybe.... Not sure.
The heat lamp is securely attached with 4 zip ties to one of my old easels. The windows open up and they have secure screens over the openings.
The bucket is about to become a dust bath for them. The cat tree, I HOPE they explore and love it.
The wooden box is my actual brooder with the top removed. They can get in and out of it with ease.

What do yall think??View attachment 3068103
That looks really nice! I'll bet they enjoy it!

I'm not sure on the pine shavings-if you don't mind them getting poop on the drop cloth, then I'd probably leave it, just because the pine shavings would probably get everywhere.

That looks really nice! I'll bet they enjoy it!

I'm not sure on the pine shavings-if you don't mind them getting poop on the drop cloth, then I'd probably leave it, just because the pine shavings would probably get everywhere.
My husband sacrificed that drop for them. We don't mind. I can sweep it off every day as many times as I need to.

So, I did this thing...

What do yall think??View attachment 3068103
That looks great! Pine shavings will offer cushion if they fall from the cat tree or ladder rung. Maybe consider adding them under the drop cloth if you don’t want shavings kicked everywhere.
Those are some lucky chicks..what a great safe and warm place to view the world ❤️

That looks great! Pine shavings will offer cushion if they fall from the cat tree or ladder rung. Maybe consider adding them under the drop cloth if you don’t want shavings kicked everywhere.
Those are some lucky chicks..what a great safe and warm place to view the world ❤️
Awwweeee, thank you so much. I didn't know if it's too much room for such tiny babies or what. I actually have new carpet remnants from the remodel that would cover that whole room. That is definitely an option.

Awwweeee, thank you so much. I didn't know if it's too much room for such tiny babies or what. I actually have new carpet remnants from the remodel that would cover that whole room. That is definitely an option.
You can always section it off some then gradually open new space as they grow. They will have so much fun exploring. Personally, I’m a little green eyed. I would love to hang out on the cat tree in that sunny window. :thumbsup

You can always section it off some then gradually open new space as they grow. They will have so much fun exploring. Personally, I’m a little green eyed. I would love to hang out on the cat tree in that sunny window. :thumbsup
Yeah, my cat is a little green eyed also. My husband made that for her. She actually was hanging out there everyday... the chicks had to get out of my art room though, jumping out and pooping on the new carpet.
...and the weather isn't good enough for my liking to move them out, even with and enclosed brooder an 2 sources of heat...
My cat has actually been in my art room with the chicks. I was always in there to watch her closely. She never paid too much attention to them. I wouldn't dare let her in that new area with them. She DOES have a high kill drive and I wouldn't trust her for one second... LoL.
I feel like the weather should get better in a few weeks and I can move them outside, maybe...
Plus, I may end up with more chicks, in the.... near.... future....

As long as they can find their way back to their food, water, and heat extra space is good.

But I'd give the cat tree back to the cat so it isn't permanently ruined.
My husband made the cat tree. We have an excess of scrap wood and carpet remnants from the remodel we are in the middle of. I did think it might get ruined, but he told me he would make another one.
I also have put a safe electric heater in there, and a good thermometer hanging on the wall. I'm trying to do everything I can to keep them out there.
Any and all recommendations are greatly welcome. If I miss something, I need to know.

I just love this idea! I think the biggest issue with brooding chicks indoors it the shock when they are suddenly in a world with so much excitement. From a solid brooder box, to a busy bustling run. The glass gives the perfect opportunity for them to view the world.
The space is super large, it looks great!
I agree that shavings under the cloth might be a good idea for cushion, or even just a balled up blanket under areas they might fall from.
Only other thing I might make sure of is that they know how to get into the box for heat, and how to get back out.

Back
Top Bottom