Frontline age

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inkedvegan, Jun 10, 2016.

1. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh
    All 13 of my girls have lice. I've tried de and some other dusters which have helped but have not eliminated the problem. I've been reading about how well frontline plus works for lice so i bought some. My dilemma is 10 out of my 13 are under 20 weeks old and was wondering if anyone has used frontline on chickens that young?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

I'm sure others may chime in with their experience of using a product like frontline.

IMO poultry dust or a product designed for use in poultry would be best. DE is not effective in ridding of lice/mites once an infestation is present. DE can have it's place used in small amounts in dust bathing areas as a preventative.
    Provide a dust bathing area, clean out bedding and treat your coop and chickens with a poultry dust or similar product. Repeat in 7days.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

3. jillmjack

jillmjack New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Inkedvegan, I'm wondering about treating younger chickens too. My birds are 8-12 weeks. I've only seen a couple lice on one bird, but want to get on top of this. What all have you tried? Also, I use sand in my coop. Does that all need to be changed?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You should be able to treat "younger birds" with poultry dust.

5. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh
    Ok so i used frontline on all the birds except the youngest 2 which are probably about 10 weeks old. All the lice were gone in about 2 days. I have sand in a corner of their run but they created their own dusting holes. I put DE in their dusting holes and cleaned their coop layered it with DE then bedding then sprinkled more DE and used poultry protector. So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by