Frontline for mites?

newchickenmomma

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Frankford, NJ
I was reading another post and read that they used frontline for mites. I was wondering, I got some chickens from someone today and upon inspection when I got home a few had mites. these were housed far away from the others who did not have mites. Now I need to find out, right now these birds are in my trailer, cause I have no where to put them, and I can't put them with my birds because of the bugs. I need to find out if using the frontline, and even the dust along with it, if I can put them with the flock right away or do I have to keep them seperate. Problem is I have no where to keep the seperate, and I can't leave them in the trailer for 2 weeks lol. I need to do something where I can treat them, and place them with my flock tomorrow. I will also be bathing them as they are very dirty from muddy pens. thanks so much in advance

I use the cheap Biospot from Wal-mart. I think that Hartz also has a brand too. I use the one that is for very small dogs and apply one drop behind each birds neck. It works! Every child in my daughters 4H group uses these on their birds before they go to the fair. It usually lasts about a month too.

smile.png
Hi,

I also use the Uk version called "spot on" for my hens ducks etc, it works a treat, suggest that if you are going to put all the birds together at once, you "spot" all of them at the same time. Will stop your own birds being infected. Another tip if anyone is interested, sometimes ducks get "corns" callouse's on their webbed feet, I have used verruca treatment in the past again it worked fine. Best of luck and let us all know how you get on.

ok that makes sense, I can go buy it and come back and spot all the birds. Will that rid of the ones they have now though? And what about bathing them? I want to bathe alot of the birds before doing the spot? Can I or will it not work properly?

One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that Frontline is a sytemic killer. Please do not eat any eggs or meat that from these chickens. It may provide temporary relief, but it won't stop ticks (if there are any) from attacking your birds. If your pet has any ticks, they will drop off and die but they will only protect you, not the bird.

You might consider using food grade DE and liberally applying it all over your bird, the coop and the grass, and replacing it every time it rains.

Another option is that if you don't eat the meat or eggs, you can use powdered cat flea powder and apply it all over your bird and you'll see all of the little buggers drop off. It's gross but it works.

Many vets no longer recommend Frontline because of the unknown long term side effects on animals, but I guess chickens really don't have to worry about that.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom