Frontline spray for mites?

janinepeters

Songster
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I am wondering if anyone has experience with this. Someone posted on it last winter, and had good luck with it, but I'd like to hear from others. Also, if you have used it, did it work alone, or did you also dust the coop and nestboxes with something else? And how/where did you apply the Frontline? Just around vent? Under wings? Any other information/advice about this treatment? Thanks.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this. Someone posted on it last winter, and had good luck with it, but I'd like to hear from others. Also, if you have used it, did it work alone, or did you also dust the coop and nestboxes with something else? And how/where did you apply the Frontline? Just around vent? Under wings? Any other information/advice about this treatment? Thanks.
Yes We use Frontline on our chickens, we were recommended by a chicken breeder who uses it on all of her chickens, You only need a tiny amount, (we use one vile one 5 birds - 0.1 ml each bird, we used a syringe to apply it.) they responsed really well, and we have no mites or lice - we also used Ardap spray for their coop ( we have a plastic coop) and we spray the coop when we clean it out, Its amazing, kills them on contact, (don't use it on the birds, just in the coop) - we tried everything, and nothing worked like Ardap and Frontline, the other stuff worked for a couple of days, but the little devils came back with avengance - was a nightmare, but we are mite free now even in this hot weather, we have to keep on top of it though - hope this helps - regards Marianne

Yes We use Frontline on our chickens, we were recommended by a chicken breeder who uses it on all of her chickens, You only need a tiny amount, (we use one vile one 5 birds - 0.1 ml each bird, we used a syringe to apply it.) they responsed really well, and we have no mites or lice - we also used Ardap spray for their coop ( we have a plastic coop) and we spray the coop when we clean it out, Its amazing, kills them on contact, (don't use it on the birds, just in the coop) - we tried everything, and nothing worked like Ardap and Frontline, the other stuff worked for a couple of days, but the little devils came back with avengance sor- was a nightmare, but we are mite free now even in this hot weather, we have to keep on top of it though - hope this helps - regards Marianne
sorry forgot to mention, we apply it to the back of their necks.....

Thank you marianne! Wow, I did not know you could just spot it on, like you do with cats and dogs. I had only seen reference to using the spray with chickens. Could you answer a few more questions:

• Is the dose you give for a large sized chicken? So for a bantam I would use maybe 1/4 that amount, like .025 ml?
  • I assume the stuff gets distributed throughout the bird's skin, as for a cat or dog, but does not get into the bloodstream, right? So then you don't have to worry about it getting into the eggs?
  • What size preparation do you buy? Or perhaps it does not matter? Are the different sizes (cat, medium size dog, large dog) all the same concentrations and differ only in terms of total quantity of the solution?

Hope my questions are clear and make sense to you. Thanks again!

Thank you marianne! Wow, I did not know you could just spot it on, like you do with cats and dogs. I had only seen reference to using the spray with chickens. Could you answer a few more questions:

• Is the dose you give for a large sized chicken? So for a bantam I would use maybe 1/4 that amount, like .025 ml?
  • I assume the stuff gets distributed throughout the bird's skin, as for a cat or dog, but does not get into the bloodstream, right? So then you don't have to worry about it getting into the eggs?
  • What size preparation do you buy? Or perhaps it does not matter? Are the different sizes (cat, medium size dog, large dog) all the same concentrations and differ only in terms of total quantity of the solution?

Hope my questions are clear and make sense to you. Thanks again!
Hi Janine, We use the Frontline for Cats, They sell them in packs of 3 or 6, They are all the same size vile. but you only need a small amount for each bird.....Our Chickens are large and are 4 years old, and we use the same amount on all of them, you dont need a lot, just the amount I said, approx
2-3 drops from a dropper syringe, part their feathers on the back of their neck and apply. One of the chicken breeders who uses it takes her stuff to a vet and he waters it down for her, but we have always just applied a small amount directly on to them, either way is ok.
Yes it gets into the chickens skin, so when the mites, or lice feed on them it kills them. I don't think it gets into the bloodstream, we have used it for a long time now, we eat our eggs (we don't sell any) and we are mite free (only joking) we are all fine. I guess if it was a problem the Vet would have advised the Chicken breeder not to do it, and he recommended it too!!! - If you need any more info let me know - regards Marianne

Hi Janine, We use the Frontline for Cats, They sell them in packs of 3 or 6, They are all the same size vile. but you only need a small amount for each bird.....Our Chickens are large and are 4 years old, and we use the same amount on all of them, you dont need a lot, just the amount I said, approx
2-3 drops from a dropper syringe, part their feathers on the back of their neck and apply. One of the chicken breeders who uses it takes her stuff to a vet and he waters it down for her, but we have always just applied a small amount directly on to them, either way is ok.
Yes it gets into the chickens skin, so when the mites, or lice feed on them it kills them. I don't think it gets into the bloodstream, we have used it for a long time now, we eat our eggs (we don't sell any) and we are mite free (only joking) we are all fine. I guess if it was a problem the Vet would have advised the Chicken breeder not to do it, and he recommended it too!!! - If you need any more info let me know - regards Marianne
Bantams are quite small, but we have a couple of chickens that are 'Bantam size' and we use the same amounts on them, 2-3 drops!!!

Yes, I just read about it, and learned that it is true that Frontline does not get into the bloodstream, so no egg withdrawal period. I am going to try this, but think I will use just one drop on each bantam. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom