FrosBite-Is it life threatning?Will Vaseline help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePRfan, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    My birds aren't laying,and I have had 2 deaths.I notice my birds have frostbite-some bad,some not as bad.
    I tried Vaseline to see what it does for them in a few days.

Any info,I sure will appreciate!

I also have a hen who is pooping the "Hershy squirts".I feed the purina layer feed (Just switched like 2 weeks ago),so i'm thinking it's their stomachs adapting to the new feed.

Any info would be greatly apprectiated!

I also have had a few birds molt (Like my whole entire flock).it's been about 3 or 2 months later now,and I STILL haven't got 1 egg.
    Sadly my 2 layers have molted in are recovering.

Any helps apppreciated!

Thanks!

-ThePRfan

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Frostbite is always an issue when winter temps are so variable as they have been this year. Keep the coop as dry as you can, and apply vaseline as needed. Keep the affected areas clean. Once the danger of frostbite has passed, I like to keep the damaged areas coated in betadine/iodine. It helps to dry out the damage so the burned areas will slough off quicker, as well as keeping them clean. Frostbite is rarely life-threatening, just unsightly. Chickens are tough. A little frostbite is not often a problem, in fact a lot of frostbite is not often a problem.

As far as the loose stools go- I never worry about loose stools unless they are watery, green diarrhea. Chicken feces often are highly variable in shades and in consistencies.

The laying should pick up once the days lengthen. This is the darkest time of the year, and a lot of birds have just finished molting. Give them a bit more time, and you will once again see some eggs. Keep feeding a good quality feed and don't feed too many treats. They will start up again soon.

Good luck.

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    It is Green.It looks like it has almost "Pepper" in it.

Wanna of my favorite hens!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If it is green then the bird is not eating, or at least food is not getting through the GI system. Check her crop to see if she has an impaction. Smell her breath to see if she may have sour crop. Check her weight by feeling along her keel. The more prominent the keel, the thinner she is.

If you are very concerned, I would quarantine her so you can monitor her condition more closely to see if she is indeed eating or not. I have a few old dog crates that I use for hospital cages when I need them. I use a raggedy old towel as the bottom so I can monitor poops.

None of the "pepper flakes" are moving, right? Could they be old, digested blood? It's not really the right time of year for a cocci outbreak, but it is possible that you are dealing with that. The two that died- what were the signs they showed prior to dying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by