Frost bit toes on silkie chick Help ASAP (Pics Added) Very graphic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teresaann24, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I was checking all my birds out today health wise checking crops and vents and ECT.

I went to the pen where my 4 week old silkie chick and momma hen were and took out the baby chick when I saw his toes. I think they may be frost bite they are a orange color kinda redish and yellow on all the tips of his toes. They are also kinda swollen not badly just unnormal sized. I brought him straight in and put him under a heat lamp where he is now. I also noticed his crop only had some food in it but he eats well???

What can I do for him he seems to be walking fine does not seem to be in pain he is eating and drinking now as I type this but he is chirping alot maybe that is because he wants his mom???

IDK what to do I should have never let my hen hatch those eggs!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if it is frostbite, then it hasn't advanced really at all yet. Rub some antibiotics on his feet.
    I don't know why they'd be yellow or red...as all the silkies I've seen have dark feet. What color are his feet normally?

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    His feet are black just at the tips let me see if i can get pictures.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I just took pics of his feet and are uploading them now I notice he is missing 2 toenails and they are bleeding.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    His toenails were in tact when i brought him in and not bleeding so I think since I have brough him in he has picked at his toes maybe from pain??

Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is in his cage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. FrizzleFreak

"he is missing 2 toenails and they are bleeding."
    that sounds like somebody was picking on him and the toes got infected.
    cobwebs will stop the bleeding, but put neosporin on first. trust me, it works, I've saved chickens that way. See if he can still feel his toes, i.e., do they still bend, does he react with his feet when you pin his wings, etc.
    let him back with his mom. it will reduce stress. unless there is signs of her being the one who hurt him.
    i would like to see pics! but remember, I'm not an expert. get a second opinion.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The only one in the cage with him is his mom.

8. FrizzleFreak

sorry-took me awhile to type the last message.
    chickens don't usually pick their own toes...
    is there something that he could have hurt his toes on? <this is gross> can you find the nails?

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    They were in deed in tact when I brought him in when I found him this way. Maybe they fell off?? I am not sure he is in a pet taxi with pine beding now. He has quited down and is sleeping I just rubbed his feet down in antibotic ointment. He seemed to like it His toes still bend but at the points of the discoloration they feel hard and briddle and will not bend. He kicks his feet when I pick him up.

And yes it is very gross looking I can't believe I didnt notice this sooner.

Don't mind his bald butt he had pasty butt very badly when he was hatched up till he was about a week old and after picking the poop off so much his butt is bald now.

Inside his mouth seems a bit pale like almost white is there something I can give him? I don't have any type of chicken medications on hand.

What about some pedilyte?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  10. FrizzleFreak

I think that as long as he is warm, has food and water (and is using them!) and has antibiotics on his feet, he should be fine. Make sure he isn't bleeding. I don't know why his toes wouldn't be where they should be.
    Good luck!!!!
    FrizzleFreak <logging off>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by