Frost bite! EEP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flo12345, Jan 7, 2014.

1. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    My rooster, Yoda (size matters not), has yucky frost bite on his comb. I have my chickens locked inside due to hawk problems, will being inside help his frost bite? I've been putting Vaseline on his comb and it seems to be keeping it from getting worse. I think. He had this awful looking bubble on his comb today that was filled with a watery liquid. It leaked out when I touched it. His nubs on his comb are black and I'm expecting them to fall off. :(
    I am putting a lot of antibiotic cream and Vaseline on his comb to keep it from getting infected or worse. Anything else I can do to help my baby's comb?

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem with one of my roos, I put triple biotic ointment and Vaseline on his comb and wattles don't know what else I can do for him. My other roo and leghorns don't have any problems just the one roo.

3. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Me too! It's weird, I have a hen with a huge comb and she's fine! Just my little Yoda. [​IMG]i feel you pain!

4. sewcarey

sewcarey New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    Get your self some Agaricus Muscarius in potency 30c. It's a homeopathic remedy that works great on frostbite- i've used it on myself as well as my flock. Get a throw away cup or bowl and put in water, add 1 pellet and let dissolve. Have those that have frostbite take a drink. Or put a bowl of it down and let them help themselves. Tho I hold those affected and manage to dip their beaks into it and make sure they get1- 2 sips of it.

I dose mine a minimum of 2 times a day.
    If they get better and then get worse it may be an overdose, stop remedy, watch them get better and ONLY give again if they get worse again.

I was amazed at how well it worked the first time I tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by