Frost bite injury! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elewerke, Jan 26, 2015.

1. elewerke

elewerke New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    So to start off I have a rooster that I was going to show in 4-H, but due to freeing cold weather I came out to our coop to find that my rooster was on the ground and away from the heating lamps. His little body was shivering and i could tell some frostbite had gotten to his wattles and comb. I immediately wrapped a towel around him and took him inside until his shivering stopped, after that i walked him outside and tried to set him up on our perch by the heating lamps but suddenly realized that he wouldn't stand on his feet, and was trying to balance on his legs. For the first time I realized that his feet were a little discolored. I took him inside to our bathroom and made him comfortable. He seemed to be keeping up a good appetite so i assumed this would pass, but his feet wouldn't go back to normal. They started to shrivel up and I assumed that he was going to lose his feet to frostbite. Sure enough after keeping him in our bathroom for about 3 weeks his left foot fell off and the toes on his right foot have almost separated. even though I'll never be able to show him at 4-H he seems over all healthy and i think if there is a chance that he could live a normal life, I'll take any sort of advice! I even thought of a prosthetic foot to help him get around better. My mom and I built one using a plastic spatula and a soft rubber covering but because he was so used to walking around on his stump he freaked out[​IMG], so we took it off. should i just let him try to get around on his two stumps? I just made an account and i'm not even sure this is the place to ask of advice...[​IMG]. If there is anyone out their with experience about this situation I would be glad to listen[​IMG] Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh my! Sorry to hear that. What does he perch on normally? (before losing his feet) Perches should be at least 2 inches wide so that their belly and feathers cover their feet. Perches should never be metal as that is like perching on ice, holds no warmth like wood. As for what to do with him, that is up to you. Is he getting around well, is he in pain? You kinda have to assess for your self on that.

ETA: this is the perfect place to ask for advice! Welcome to the flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. pjmillerboy9

pjmillerboy9 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Utah
    Unfortunately, I think that you shouldn't force him or even try to get some sort of prosthetic leg, but instead let him rest in a nesting box with a heat lamp over it and a place where he can see the rest of the coop.

4. elewerke

elewerke New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Thanks for replying! And no he doesn't show any sign of being in pain, He's been trying to hobble/hop around and we even took him outside so that we could start getting him back in the flock. The first time didn't go so well and the hens attacked him causing his foot to fully separate, but recently we gave some food to the hens while we took him outside and the hens didn't bother him. I was trying to think of a way where he could be around the other chickens while not being in harms way. Also the perch is 2 inches and is made of wood, he has always kept warm before, and the hens have shown no sign of being cold whatsoever. After the incident with my rooster I checked regularly on the flock and they where doing great until I had gone out as usual to find our other rooster(Dash was his name) frozen to death. Is it something i'm doing wrong, or are the males just weaker and more prone to the cold? BTW thank you so much for the advice[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by