1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frost bite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GracieN, Dec 7, 2013.

1. GracieN

GracieN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Hi,
    So the last several days have been in the negative digits and today is -20 [​IMG] anyways I went out to my coop and 3 of my chickens have the blade of their combs are white, can frost bite be white? Most of the pictures I've seen of frost bite its been black...
    Also, if it is frost bite is there anything I can do to help it? I'm about to go out to add more heat lamps so that the rest won't get it if thats what is is.

Thanks so much for your help!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, frozen comb tissue can appear whitish but it quickly darkens. Show a picture of impacted birds. Manage for infection promptly. Also watch toes.moo

3. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    I understand it to be black also but not sure. I also understand it to be caused by humidity in the coop more so than cold temps. Ventilation but not drafts in coops to prevent it and Vaseline on combs is supposed to help protect. Hope this helps.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Black is caUsed by leakage of blood into the damaged areas. OP MAY be catching it before the leaking and bruised look develops. I now wish I would have photographed how frostbite progresses and heals. Would save so much describing it.

5. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Ya lost me?

6. GracieN

GracieN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    It hasn't gotten any worse and it's still white and nobody else has gotten it. I added a 2nd heat lamp to their coop and put a blanket over the top of it. The temp is 20 degrees f now so it's a LOT warmer then it has been. Last week was -30. I think it's supposed to stay warm too, so I don't think I have to worry too much any more. If it goes back into the negative digits again I'll vasline their combs. They pretty much stay in their house all day.

7. Chicken man 35

Chicken man 35 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Augusta, GA
    I heard you can put vaseline on frostbite is that true

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes you can use vasoline or bag balm to help prevent it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by