Frost bite?

GracieN

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
Hi,
So the last several days have been in the negative digits and today is -20
hmm.png
anyways I went out to my coop and 3 of my chickens have the blade of their combs are white, can frost bite be white? Most of the pictures I've seen of frost bite its been black...
Also, if it is frost bite is there anything I can do to help it? I'm about to go out to add more heat lamps so that the rest won't get it if thats what is is.

Thanks so much for your help!

I understand it to be black also but not sure. I also understand it to be caused by humidity in the coop more so than cold temps. Ventilation but not drafts in coops to prevent it and Vaseline on combs is supposed to help protect. Hope this helps.

Black is caUsed by leakage of blood into the damaged areas. OP MAY be catching it before the leaking and bruised look develops. I now wish I would have photographed how frostbite progresses and heals. Would save so much describing it.

It hasn't gotten any worse and it's still white and nobody else has gotten it. I added a 2nd heat lamp to their coop and put a blanket over the top of it. The temp is 20 degrees f now so it's a LOT warmer then it has been. Last week was -30. I think it's supposed to stay warm too, so I don't think I have to worry too much any more. If it goes back into the negative digits again I'll vasline their combs. They pretty much stay in their house all day.

Back
Top Bottom