frost bite :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iPeanut1990, Nov 12, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My poor little girls. I have 3 RIRs who are about 25 weeks old. I've been putting vaseline on them every night but it doesn't seem to be helping. I didn't even bother tonight because it's such a hassle trying to get it on them. I'm trying to create more ventilation in their coop. I live in Oklahoma though so it's always a little bit humid no matter the temperature. They are all acting fine, eating and drinking as they should. We got 2 eggs today even. All 3 have black on their combs and wattles. It just looks painful even though it doesn't seem to be bothering them. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. It's dark already. It's only 5:30 but it the temp is 31 feels like 23. 30% humidity. What can I do? :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What kind of low temperatures are you having? Frostbite usually isn't a problem unless temps are below zero. The type of ventilation you need is high up in the coop to remove moisture, but to prevent direct drafts. Can you post a picture of the possible frostbite?

3. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't know the exact temps but it has not been below 0 even at nigh yett. It's been down to about 20 over nightl. It's dark already but I'll get a picture tomorrow. I thought the black was dirt at first but it's not coming off. It's hard to get them to hold still long enough though.

4. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Here's a pic of the one I'm most worried about. Some of it is dirt from the Vaseline but some of it was black already and I'm almost 100% sure that it wasn't dirt. It wasn't there when I put her to bed the other night and the next morning it was on her comb. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Or mites. Some mites leave little black speckles overnight that cluster together and look like frostbite.I have had to deal with that before, and got rid of it with LOTS of DE and wood ash. The mites love big combs. Just something to think about.

6. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    How do I know if it's mites? I haven't noticed anything crawling in their bedding or feathers.

7. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Neither did I.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Early frostbite can look like pale or light skin, and may turn yellowish or black. It generally will start at the tips of the comb, where only the tips may be affected to more involvement. Below are some typical pictures of frostbite on combs or wattles. Blackened areas may fall off. Here is a very helpful link to read about frostbite and prevention: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It never looked white that I saw. I only saw it when it was black. It seemed like it just kind of showed up. So maybe it's not frost bite then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by