frost bite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gretna Ladies, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Gretna Ladies

Gretna Ladies New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    I adore my 7 pullets...2 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 Silkies, 1 Easter Egger, 2 Buff Orppingtons. We live in Nebraska. This is our first winter of raising chickens. I have read and researched A LOT about winterizing. Last night was 0 degrees, snowy and windy. Below are pics of how our coop held up...I know ventilation is so important but we are ending up w snow in the coop, keeping the window closed. I put petrolum jelly on the girls last night but I think they got frost bite...I feel terrible. Can you help us? How can we prevent this from getting worse and fix our coop? Thank you!!![​IMG]View of coop from N

[​IMG]Ventilation on S side

[​IMG]Our ventilation on N side

[​IMG]Inside the coop, window closed

[​IMG]Is this frost bite?

[​IMG]Inside the coop

[​IMG]Is this frost bite?

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I would cover 1/2 of the ventilation on the colder days or for the winter. They need flow or air, but it does not need to be too open. Low temperatures are bad, but is the wind that is the worse, so you want to provide them with space where they are protected from the wind. I live in the northeast and in the winter I place wood panels on the windiest sides of the run, that slows down the wind coming at them and I see them hiding behind the panels. Also when is that cold and windy, I close the entry to the coop at night and open it in the morning, but always leave a little ventilation open. Those look like tiny frost bites, but they will be ok. I have had some of mine sometimes get them and they do ok. I can't tell from the pictures if you have a water heater, that is a must, as they need to have fresh water all the time. Hope it helps.

3. Gretna Ladies

Gretna Ladies New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Thank you for saying that they will be ok!!!!! Will their combs regenerate or always be like this? Yes we have a water heater. It's been holding up pretty good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Crazy that they started laying in this bitter cold 4 days ago!!!

4. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    My roos and hens that have gotten frost bites have grown the little spikes back. I just keep putting Vaseline when is cold and continue to find ways to protect them from the wind and I think it helps. About the start laying, it never stops to amaze me, how some of them lay on time, regardless of how cold or hot is outside and some of them postpone the start all together until spring. I have had both cases in sisters pullets. Your pullets look very nice and healthy. Hope spring comes soon this year. The first winter is the most scary I would say.

5. Gretna Ladies

Gretna Ladies New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Thank you and I agree that the first winter is scary!! It's when you find out if all your hard work pays off the way you expected. Thanks again for responding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by