Frost bitten comb

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
So I automatically open the coop door everyday... I just assumed they would go inside if it got too cold.. first day at -20 and my roosters comb is half froze! He was out quite a bit... I would hate to have to lock them up all winter. It did not happen at night, as they as protected from the wind and it was fine in the morning.

If you're talking -20 fahrenheit, if there was just a 10mph breeze blowing, the wind chill was -45F.

It's no wonder the poor rooster got frost bite. Most chickens do shelter themselves against such cold, but who can really tell why a chicken does something? They have their reasons, I'm sure.

But if you wouldn't go outside in those temperatures without covering your extremities, you might want to consider keeping your chickens inside when it gets that cold.

If you're talking -20 fahrenheit, if there was just a 10mph breeze blowing, the wind chill was -45F.

It's no wonder the poor rooster got frost bite. Most chickens do shelter themselves against such cold, but who can really tell why a chicken does something? They have their reasons, I'm sure.

But if you wouldn't go outside in those temperatures without covering your extremities, you might want to consider keeping your chickens inside when it gets that cold.

I'm talking -20 Celsius. I think I will get a rooster who does better in this climate... this guy's comb is huge.. the others with smaller combs are fine

I will leave it shut until it warms up a bit.

Last edited:
Worse thing sometimes is to close up the coop as the moisture build up can hasten frostbite. Most of my roosters with single combs get frostbite their first and sometimes second winter. Next year you won't have as much trouble. The comb and maybe the wattles will blacken and the tissue will eventually fall off. You might see some swelling and they will look miserable for a bit but he will be okay. Don't try helping and handle the damaged tissue. It will heal without any intervention most times.

Roosters don't tuck their head under their wings at night like the hens do so they are more pronged to frostbite. Keeping roosters with smaller combs is a good idea. My birds always have the option to go out or not and the shed isn't any warmer than outside as far as temperatures.

It was inevitable that your rooster would get frostbite, many get it during the day. In areas with cold winters like we have there's not much you can do to stop it.

Worse thing sometimes is to close up the coop as the moisture build up can hasten frostbite. Most of my roosters with single combs get frostbite their first and sometimes second winter. Next year you won't have as much trouble. The comb and maybe the wattles will blacken and the tissue will eventually fall off. You might see some swelling and they will look miserable for a bit but he will be okay. Don't try helping and handle the damaged tissue. It will heal without any intervention most times.

Roosters don't tuck their head under their wings at night like the hens do so they are more pronged to frostbite. Keeping roosters with smaller combs is a good idea. My birds always have the option to go out or not and the shed isn't any warmer than outside as far as temperatures.

It was inevitable that your rooster would get frostbite, many get it during the day. In areas with cold winters like we have there's not much you can do to stop it.

Thank you - this makes me feel a lot better. I was quite beside myself about it this evening.

Don't feel too bad. Once you start getting really cold temperatures frostbite happens. I haven't had a rooster not be okay. Keep up good ventilation in the coop and keep a thick bedding and something to stand on outside. I've had roosters get frostbitten toes too, so wider roosts can help prevent that.

I've has roosters get pretty bad frostbite. I've always put a dab of vasoline on their combs and seems to help just fine. I really only do it though if I feel like it is getting a bit out of hand. Other then that I let them figure it out or ill just keep them in their coop for a day or two.

So I automatically open the coop door everyday... I just assumed they would go inside if it got too cold.. first day at -20 and my roosters comb is half froze! He was out quite a bit... I would hate to have to lock them up all winter. It did not happen at night, as they as protected from the wind and it was fine in the morning.
Adding your location would help.......Celsius.....Possibly Canadian?

Anyways.......Vaseline on Combs helps with frostbite.........

Cheers!

I personally have better things to do than chase roosters around daily to Vaseline combs. I would be interested in hearing from someone who does that, and also routinely gets sub zero temperatures for months on end like we do. Seems like a never ending task. And what about wattles? Do you Vaseline those too? Better to either pick smaller combed breeds or let nature dub your birds and get it over with in my experiences.

I personally have better things to do than chase roosters around daily to Vaseline combs. I would be interested in hearing from someone who does that, and also routinely gets sub zero temperatures for months on end like we do. Seems like a never ending task. And what about wattles? Do you Vaseline those too? Better to either pick smaller combed breeds or let nature dub your birds and get it over with in my experiences.
It works.......Just another attempt to under mind my practices........Not Daily.........Anyways.......I was Helping....Or trying too......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom