Frost Bitten Combs. Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trentoldenburg, Dec 15, 2017.

1. trentoldenburg

trentoldenburg Just Hatched

Oct 12, 2017
    I have a flock in Mid Michigan and as the temperatures have dropped, I noticed the tops of my roosters comb getting purple. I don't know how to help them. I have tarp up on the side of my run to block the wind and they have access to their coop all day. I also have a coop heater coming in the mail. I have heard to cut vents in my coop, but I don't understand how that is logical given that it'll release heat. If anyone could tell me how to deal with this, I'd appreciate it.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Flock Master

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I use Vaseline to prevent frost bite on my chickens’ combs and wattles. Ventilation is very important in keeping moisture away from your birds. @chickens really can you explain how good ventilation prevents frost bite? I’m not well versed in it.

3. Hello....Vents are extremely important being moisture rises and Chickens breath and poop is moisture too. If water is in the coop that causes moisture.
    Vent as high as possible to allow moisture to rise and Roosts well below the vents. coop needs to be clean and dry.

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Flock Master

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Thank you. I wouldn’t have been able to explain it so well.

chickens really likes this.
  5. Your welcome..:highfive:

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. trentoldenburg

trentoldenburg Just Hatched

Oct 12, 2017
    Guess I'm breaking out the sawzall today then! Thank you. Any recommendations on how big I should cut the vents? @chickens really

7. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    1 square foot of ventilation for each bird is generally recommended.

8. Jeepers...Depends on the size of your Coop?..Just cut out vents and cover with wire so critters can't climb in..Mine are up under the eaves...I block off the west and north ones in winter..

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock True BYC Addict

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You have received some good advice from the others. I understand ventilation sounds counter-productive especially in winter, but as the others mentioned, it's very important. Chickens don't always need heat (unless you live where @chickens really lives) but, they do need protection from wind and drafts. Moisture from their breath and droppings needs to be able to move up and away (out of the coop). This is a good article that you may find helpful:
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

10. Thanks !.....:wee
    :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by