Frost bitten foot. How to intervene?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bgrantalasykes, Feb 26, 2014.

1. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    [​IMG] Its terrible I know, will his toes fall off? How can i ease these process? Ive read about epsom bath salts... however it ia still very cold here... im worried if i begin the healing process any new tissue will be killed.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Epsom salt soaks twice a day to the feet may help, but I would bring him inside in a cage to stay for awhile, perhaps in a basement. Apply Neosporin ointment to the toes. Any blackened area will probably fall off. There are chickens who do okay missing toes, and some even with the loss of a foot. I would try to make sure that there is some overhead ventilation in your coop to help remove moisture, and that there are no open pans of water where they can get feet wet in extreme cold temperatures. Here is a link to read also: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

3. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    It is going to be winter for another 2 months so im worried about him coming inside to stay for the duration as we have a very small house and no basement space...the article said do not start healing if he will be returned to cold.. hes eating drinking and doesnt seem in a great deal of pain.. . Will his toe really just fall off? Fred has come into the house before and wasnt thrilled, he became rather depressed and wouldnt eat much. I am torn and i wish spring would hurry up.
    Thank you for your response

4. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Hi eggcessive, I wanted to let you know my rooster is doing very well, his two toes are off and have healed nicely... hes doing better than when he had all toes! Thanks for your help

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks for the update and you're welcome. I'm happy to hear that he is doing well minus his 2 toes. Hopefully next winter won't be as bad.

6. Ranger Rooster

Ranger Rooster New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Maine
    PLEASE HELP!!! IS THIS FROST BITE? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Im not an expert, the bright yellow colour on her toe makes me wonder... unless there is infection.. but the blackened toe tips loojs like it may be. I would do the epsom salt soaking to soothe and prevent infection... use luje warm room temp water... she wont lose her toes at this stage

8. Ranger Rooster

Ranger Rooster New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Maine
    Thank you so much!!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree that it looks like frostbite. Any water spills that chickens can step into with the freezing temperatures can cause this. Hopefully, it will heal okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by