Frost bitten

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cynthia12, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I feel sorry for my leghorns. I have a white, and a brown. They are tough, but the poor things now have black combs on the front part of their combs..and they roost in a heated coop! Nice big red heat lamp, because we are getting cold at night. I think it's the water. They drink, then walk around outside in the morning with that comb wet. Oh man, my white girl was so pretty, bright red comb, white white body. I was just thinking the other day that I should probably get some Vaseline out. Not sure that would be such a great idea now that I think about it, because it would be getting into the water dishes? Maybe? Will that black come off eventually? I've heard it does sometimes. It's quite a bit in the front like I said. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Thanks Imp, great articles...sounds like I'm doing all I can for them. My coop has a heat lamp, and it isn't a very large coop.. I have 6 girls in there, and it sounds like Vaseline doesn't work as well as having the heat..sooo...will have to wait and see how those black areas end up come warmer weather, or sooner. I hadn't heard about the toes though! I actually do have a flat type of roost for them..so that should be good. They are still laying though, little die hards! I'm glad they are feeling up to it. [​IMG]

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    From what I've read on other posts here, you might be better off getting rid of the heat lamp and making sure your coop is well-ventilated. It helps get rid of the humidity in the coop that can cause frostbite.

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    It's pretty well ventilated..both sides on top have a rectangular opening, with wire. Plus, I keep the small door on the bottom open at night. It doesn't feel humid. [​IMG] That sure makes sense though. I just may take something out there to keep track of the temp and humidity. It would be interesting to know. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by