frost blanket

daygrower

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
anyone use frost blanket on their runs to keep out the wind and cold? I use it on my palms and you can just leave it on them all winter it lets in rain and light but not as much cold and it really works on wind. so now my chickens get covered when its cold and it works much better than plastic.

Frost blanket sounds great..I would like to know more about that. I've never heard of it. Where do you get it? How expensive is it? I covered my coop with plastic and now i'm having the same problem i've been reading about on here with it holding too much water and snow. I was planning on putting more support on the ceiling tomorrow to keep it from sagging. Sounds like a frost blanket would let the moisture excape too so it can dry out. When the sun shines now it gets nice and warm but turns into a muddy mess. Thanks

Depends how cold a climate you live in, if it does let water in, that would freeze here anyway. I guess if your low's are in the high 20's it might work pretty well.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow. it would'nt work very well on the top of the coop if you get snow but it is like wearing a flannel shirt its not a rain coat but does keep you warmer than a thin wind breaker. I use it on the run so my chickens stay out of the wind. but you guys are right I live in north Florida it may not be enough up north.but on plants it keeps the temp under it warmer than plastic would.

Our lows here can get below zero so it probably wouldn't work for me. I would probably be better off to stick to my plan to put extra support in the top of the run and maybe a center post to get thru the winter. But when summer comes we are going to build a solid roof for the run with a good incline so snow and water stays off. Thanks for the information. We are new to the chicken business. These are the first I've ever had. The birds are 21 weeks old and some started laying at 19 weeks. I about had a cow! I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning! I love backyardchickens and have become adicted to it. Thanks again

15 isa browns, 3 calif leghorns, 5 RIR

Back
Top Bottom