Frost on my chickens back feathers. Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElCerritoPlace, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    This is my first winter with chickens. We have had a very cold December with nightly temps consistently below zero and highs either still below zero or in single digits. The last couple nights temps have reached -21 to -10. I don't heat my coop, but the night it reached -21 I did put a lamp out there. I have 6 standard chickens in a 8x4 coop. I've noticed in the morning the chickens all have frost on their feathers between their shoulder blades. Just one little patch 2x1 inches. What does this mean? I have the gable vents open, they are approximately 8x8 inches. But I close up the door to the run. Too much moisture? Not enough venting?

I do keep food and water in the coop although the water is not heated.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think you're on the right track thinking about too much humidity. I have 17 chickens in an 8x16' coop, with the ceiling about 8' high. It's not completely tight, and I also have one window tilted open about 2" at the top. I have had no problems with frost or frostbite. We have been experiencing temps like yours.

3. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Just wondering do chickens sleep with their heads tucked back like you see ducks and geese sleep? Could it be frost from their breath that I see on their feathers between their shoulders?

if it was a moisture issue would I have seen frostbite on the chickens combs, given that we reached -20 to -24F on several occasions this winter?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Chickens tuck their heads under their wings and their breath condenses causing a bit of "frosting" between the shoulder blades. I also noticed it when we were in the deep freeze. It took a while to figure out what was causing it. Not a concern.

5. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Great! Even though I was trying not to worry, it still bugged me that I didn't know what it was from. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by