frostbit on toes?? Can this bloody mess happen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Living Farm, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok. when out this morning, in the 25-28 degree range (florida) and I noticed blood on the ground. Several days ago I had to put someof my mixed breed 3 month olds in a multi-hole rabbit cage, wire floor. They have been fine until last night. Well the gace is about 2.5 feet off the ground. My silkie was missing a toe, a naked neck missing the large missle toe and another smaller one and a Cuckoo Maran a mall toe. I am thinking frost bit and the toe was in the metal floor and simply broke off leaving the mess. The wife says a rats. I just can not see a rat haning upside down going after toes. What do you think.... O, they have been move to a differnet cage..

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

It could have been a rat, raccoon, dog or whatever! If stuff hangs out then predators will attack. Good that you moved them. Terri O

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I wouldn't think frostbite. We're dealing with two horrible cases of frostbite toes on two pullets we just rescued. Their toes are horribly swollen and turning black, the frostbite tissue is dead or dying and is a still a very long ways from starting to fall off.

My guess, since it snapped off overnight, would be rat or some other type of predator.

4. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    MY wife said rat as well. I just can not see a rat hanging upside down attacking the foot of a chicken, but the glue trap, bait, and rat traps should get it's attention tonight if it comes back...... [​IMG]

5. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Yikes! sorry to hear about the toes, but glad that was all that was taken! Hope they are healing well

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    yes, rat upside down, backward, whatever it takes to get at whatever is hanging out. Absolutely possible.

7. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    well nothing in the traps, maybe tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by