Frostbite and chicken injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    My Rhode Island Red rooster had gotten frostbite on his comb and the one under the beak turned purple and is now turning yellowish everyone said there's not much I can do so I just been making sure he's okay but yesterday I noticed he had blisters on his top comb and there's only 2 I think and there kinda big I'm pretty sure it's from the frostbite but one popped and is now a wound it's not dripping blood but it doesn't look deep and I know they can heal themselves I'll have pictures when I get home I just wanted to see if it's from the frostbite. I know if it does get infected to get antibacterial cream

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Put some aloe vera of his comb and put him indoors or some place warm so he can heat up. Hopefully he gets better, but he sounds like he's got a pretty bad case. If conditions get worse you might want to take him to a veterinarian. Hope he gets well soon!

3. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Oh okay well everyone's telling me you just gotta leave him be there's nothing you can do instead of give him cream for the wound but nothing for frostbite he shouldn't die should he?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frostbite is very common during these cold winter months. Make sure that your coop has plenty of overhead ventilation to let out the moisture in the coop. It sounds as though your rooster got frostbite on the comb and wattles. Putting Neosporin ointment or coconut oil on it (and do not rub it, just dab on) may help if it gets infected. Sometimes they will lose part of the comb from frostbite. Here is some good info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens rarely die from frostbite, so I wouldn't worry too much about him dying. I've had several chickens get frostbite, and they've all survived.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Will it make him look unhealthy if it falls off or something like that or deformed and the coop they originally slept In was 3 sided and the one they been going in ( it's the barn beside there coop with all the hay ) so they picked to sleep in there I'll post pictures when I get home of him and the coop where they free range lol

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The combs sometimes lose their points in some of the pictures I have seen of frostbite. Some breeds have their combs dubbed or trimmed by a vet. He may look different, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by