Frostbite and Favus - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crawfordmama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    A couple weeks ago I began treating my flock with miconazole for favus. They began picking the cream off each other so I switched to Lotrimin spray and dabbed it on their combs and wattles with a cotton ball. Now it looks like their combs are frostbitten. It's been between -11 and -20*F at night and a high of 15*F during the day for the past couple weeks. My coop is well ventilated and not heated. Do you guys see any remains of favus on the girls? I realize my roo still has it because he's been almost impossible to handle, even after dark. If so, which do I treat first? Thank you so much for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it were me I'd be smearing them with a mix of Neosporin and an antifungal ointment. Treats both, plus helps prevent frostbite, since most of what is in a tube of Neosporin is petroleum jelly, better known as Vaseline.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    This is a wonderful suggestion. I tried it this evening. Thank you so much!

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm not sure how cold it is where you are, but to me it looks like the combs are just dry/chapped. I was concerned when a few of mine started looking like this. It's finally gotten a little warmer her and now they are back to normal. You can also do a search for "favus" on here to compare the pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by