Frostbite comb

animalwild

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
We moved all of my chickens in to our barn for the winter and my rooster's comb got frostbite and I researched on what to do and they said it would just fall off, but it hasn't yet. So should I just remove it or wait a bit longer with these warmer temps to see if it falls off.

I would apply some vaseline to his comb..it can help to alleviate frostbite...but in your case it may not do any good...

Anything is worth a try at this stage for him

I would leave his comb alone. Was the frostbitten part black, or just purple/white? Sometimes, birds don't lose all the frostbitten parts. I would leave it be, to fall off when it is ready to fall off.

The comb and wattles are black and white. I didn't get any vaseline on because I couldn't catch him so for that I will need my parents help. Northwestern part of South Dakota. Owner of 15 chickens, About 10 cats multiples every year, 4 horses, 1 dog, we have pigs in spring summer fall, 2 cows right now, hopefully goats and sheep this year.

Last edited:
Try to apply vaseline when he is on the roost at night..it is so much easier than during daylight hours...

Good luck!

Right now they don't have roost because they're in the barn and so they don't really have any roosts, but maybe tomorrow I could probably get him when he's eating and then my mom could help me. But I'll keep in mind the roost idea I guess they kinds have some roosting spots in the stall.

They don't have too have a Roost..just wait until dusk when they settle down for the night..they get sleepy...that is the best time to catch them and deal with whatever we need to do..maybe wait until it is dark...go out with a torch and catch him..slather him with the vaseline..he won't thank you..but he will feel a lot better!

Sorry about your rooster. Chickens with larger combs can get frostbitten in very cold weather. Having ventilation high overhead in the coop will help to remove excess moisture in the coop which tends to increase frostbite. Vetericyn or iodine may help prevent infection, but it can be weeks before you see the results of frostbite. Combs sometimes become more rounded. Here are some good links to read on frostbite:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html

Back
Top Bottom