Frostbite Cure AGAR

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sewcarey, Jan 8, 2014.

1. sewcarey

sewcarey New Egg

Feb 21, 2011

For frostbite I would highly recommend using the Homeopathic remedy Agaricus Muscarius (AGAR) in a potency 30c. I've used it several times on my girls and especially my F.B.C. Maran Roo (and myself!). I've had the "fingers" on my roo's comb start out visibly black and have gotten it to heal completely. Your local Health Food Store may carry it or try online at abchomeopathy.com. (it's not a prescription)

Take a plastic throw away container or cup, add water and put 1 pellet in, let dissolve. I give a dose to them as needed or put in a bowl and let them dose themselves (esp if not tame). I dose mine a minimum of 2 times a day (or more esp. if really bad or extremely low temps). I continue to dose them til it's gone and then I give an extra dose to be sure.

If there's one with frostbite I will offer it to it, if it doesn't drink it freely, then I will hold it and stick it's beak into the remedy water til it drinks some. If there's many I may hold & dose those worse off and put down the bowl for the rest.

FYI:

Make sure to have regular fresh water available if you decide to provide a bowl of Agaricus.
    Do not use a container that you will use for other food uses- if you do you will be administering the remedy to yourself. (Even if you wash it)
    If you accidentally spill it on yourself- you just got a dose of the remedy. (I have been accidentally dosed by birds that shake their head and splatter remedy water all over me) Not a huge deal just better if it doesn't happen.

You can overdose them so be careful and aware of the animal your treating. If animal starts getting better and then gets worse it's probably overdosed. Stop remedy, watch it get better and ONLY treat again WHEN it gets worse again.

I write on the plastic container with a sharpie marker the remedy that It's for and reuse it.
    A pipet (pipette) could also be used- squeeze a drop onto beak til it drinks or open beak & drop some in.

1 person likes this.
  2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Excellent info, thanks for sharing!

3. fancy chicken

fancy chicken New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Hello!

What does "in a potency 30c" mean? I ask b/c I could only find agar flakes at the nearby health food store. Not sure how that equates to your recipe but would love any suggestions...my girls have frostbite on their combs and I feel awful. But I'm eager to try this remedy, just need a little hand holding:) Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
    Katie

4. sewcarey

sewcarey New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    No, it's a homeopathic remedy. AGAR is the abbreviation that homeopaths use as these names can be rather long! It should come in a small tube or vial. Be around $8-10. Go on that website and do a search for it.

If you call a local health food store ask if they carry Homeopathics and if so ask if they have Agaricus Muscarius in a 30c potency. Homeopathics come if different potencies, the most common are 6, 30 and 200- the higher, the stronger.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by