Frostbite Damage on Comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jtt777, Feb 20, 2016.

1. jtt777

jtt777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Hi,

We've got a Salmon Faverolle and went though some really cold weather in the north east the past couple days but it is now pretty warm (50-60 deg F today). We noticed there were some spots on the comb and we're worried she got frostbite when it was really cold and windy. The weather is nice now. We immediately put some neosporin on it but wondering if this will heal and if there is anything else we can do. She's acting completely normal so far. We were putting Vaseline on these gals regularly but I guess it just wasn't enough with the single digit weather we had.

How bad are these pictures? How worried should we be? Is there anything else we can do now and going forward?

Thanks for your advice.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    OK, stop worrying - she will be fine. The frost bitten tips will most likely dry up and fall off, but the major effect will only be cosmetic. Some call frost bite "nature's dubbing'.

3. jtt777

jtt777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks, you're making me feel better that isn't not that bad. If its just cosmetic we can live with that. I just feel bad, we didn't do enough then to prevent it from happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by