Feb 25, 2019
This is my second winter with chickens and here in Michigan, we have been dealing with some very strange and cold weather; because of this, I have been struggling with frostbite most of this winter. I have been monitoring all of my chickens everyday to make sure everything is looking ok but today when I went out, I found that my 7 month old White Cochin hen, Mallow, seems to have frostbite pretty bad and it has started to bleed. She has had the frostbite for about a week now but it wasn't very bad and hasn't seemed to be bothering her, and it still doesn't seem like it but I can't imagine it doesn't hurt. I am pretty new to chickens and I'm not quite sure what to do, any tips?
15511366888994671277455631457260.jpg
15511367610928501397038954964091.jpg

That doesn't look too bad. If the others start picking at it you may have to separate her, but I think it will be fine. I am in MI, too, and several of my chickens were frostbitten and they look a lot worse than that!

It actually probably does not hurt at all. Birds are strange like that since they have few nerve endings in the skin. If it’s bleeding I would separate her until it stops. You can’t do anything for frostbite.

That doesn't look too bad. If the others start picking at it you may have to separate her, but I think it will be fine. I am in MI, too, and several of my chickens were frostbitten and they look a lot worse than that!
Thanks so much for the advice! It doesn't seen like any of them are but it's hard to tell. If I notice anything I'll be sure to step in and separate her. Hope your chickens get better soon! I'm sure that windstorm last night was rough!

She may be getting her damaged comb pecked, but she also may be hurting it on the feeders and waterers. See how close the feeder her comb is in the picture? She should be okay, but I would watch for pecking.

She may be getting her damaged comb pecked, but she also may be hurting it on the feeders and waterers. See how close the feeder her comb is in the picture? She should be okay, but I would watch for pecking.
That's a really good point, I've never thought that it might be her hitting it on something. I will watch her tomorrow more closely and see if I notice anything

Back
Top Bottom